Community-based tree and forest enterprises
This resource appears in:
This website includes links to the useful Market Analysis and Development (MA&D) materials. MA&D aims at identifying and encouraging micro and small-scale tree and forest product enterprises in order to strengthen peoples' livelihood strategies in rural communities, while at the same time ensuring sustainable use of natural resources. The MA&D process is based on one preliminary planning phase and three successive main phases:
- Identifying potential enterprises; making inventories of existing resources and products; identifying products that are already providing income for local people; and, eliminating non-viable products. Financial objectives are determined by the people who are interested in developing enterprises.
- Selecting the most promising products, identifying potential markets and discussing the means to commercialise the products.
- Preparing the enterprise strategy and business plans. Future entrepreneurs are guided through a pilot phase and training, learning to monitor their progress and to adapt when change is needed.
This website provide links to the MA&D materials which are all downloadable. These are:
- Users' guide to the field manual
- Introduction: Defining where you want to end up
- Phase 1: Assess the existing situation
- Phase 2: Identify products, markets and means of marketing
- Phase 3: Plan enterprises for sustainable development
- Case Study: Designing tree, forest and home garden product enterprises for sustainable development
- Map of process
The publications include Field Facilitators' Guidelines. Examples of the MA&D method being applied in Colombia, Ganbia and Uganda are featured on the site.Community-based forest enterprise development - English (en)
Empresas comunitarias de productos forestales - Spanish (es)
Développement des entreprises forestières communautaires - French (fr)
|Website Type||Resource Collection|
|Author||Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)|
|Primary Language||English (en)|
|Region / Country||Global /|
|Keywords||Enterprise Development, Forest Enterprises, Market Analysis|