Cracking the Nut 2019: Leveraging Systems for Improved Food Security
The 2019 Cracking the Nut conference will focus on balancing public concerns for food security with private, market-based solutions. Applying a food systems lens, this two-day learning event will bring together some of the world’s leading experts in rural development, sustainable agriculture, agricultural finance, water sanitation, health and nutrition. The conference will convene high-level representatives from the private sector, governments, donors and development practitioners to discuss the “tough nuts” related to food security, including the themes highlighted below.
- Reducing Systemic Risk: What mechanisms exist to stabilize commodity prices? To what extent can we reduce risks of agricultural investments with insurance and guarantees? How can blended finance be used to encourage investments in clean water, climate smart agriculture and health and nutrition support services? What community-based approaches to rural development can improve resilience and reduce the negative impacts of a food security crisis. How can we measure vulnerability and track systemic changes?
- Improving Health, Nutrition and Access to Clean Water: What is the appropriate policy response to balance competing priorities and protect access to clean water for fish, livestock, agriculture and people? How can the public sector incentivize commercial improvements in nutrition and health? What approaches are needed to ensure benefits flow to low-income communities, households and individuals, including regular consumption of nutritious diets?
- Increasing Inclusion in Commercial Markets: How can we entice the private sector to be more inclusive of women and youth? How do we link informal market opportunities to commercial markets? What public sector stimulus is appropriate to ensure food systems serve the last mile? In what ways do we need to adapt systems and approaches to the specific needs of high risk populations? What does it take to move households beyond subsistence level farming?
Event Venue: King Fahd Palace Hotel in Dakar, Senegal.
- Earl Bird: $595 (ends 12 April 2019).
- Regular: $795
- Conference + Ag VCF Training (early bird): $1,490 (ends 12 April 2019).
- Cracking the Nut Conference + Ag VCF Training (regular): $1,690
|Region / Country||Global /|